The CHIJMES is a middle school for girls, which was founded in the 1850s. The building is a historic landmark and is located on Victoria Street, in the Central Area of Singapore. It has recently undergone a rebranding exercise, bringing its name back to its original name, the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus Middle Education School. While it remains a popular school for girls, it has faced controversy in recent years.
The redevelopment has included a $100 million restoration. It included four new entrances, a lower roof and the covering of sunken courtyards. Some old girls have complained about the basement, but the management of the school strongly disapproves of such immoral activities. The former orphanage still stands on Victoria Street, and some of the buildings were demolished to make way for MRTC's headquarters.
The renovations were completed in 1991, and the chapel and other parts of the school were preserved. The remaining school blocks and chapel were also preserved, and they were later converted into theme retail and exhibition spaces. The new facility has a cinema, a food court, a gym, a tavern, and a restaurant. A film featuring the former Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus was also shown at the launch event.
The Chijmes will also have more events and go upmarket with its tenant mix. The company bought the 159-year-old grand dame in 2011 and has plans to give it a much-needed facelift. Moreover, the refurbished building will be more pedestrian-friendly and will include a glass ceiling and glazed walls. The redevelopment will cost around $45 million, which will make it more accessible to the public.
The Straits Times is available in several editions. The Sunday Times is a separate edition. The Convent Of The Holy Infant Jesus was Singapore's first prime minister, and was relocated to a nearby building. The former school is now a popular F&B outlet, and it is home to a National Monument. The CHIJMES - Straits times overseas are a great place to learn about the history of your country.
Originally known as the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus, the Chijmes convent acquired land from the Raffles Institution in 1860. It then built a boarding house on Stamford Road. Over the years, the convent continued to expand and eventually became a self-contained city block. It is today an enchanting and charming place to visit, and it is the epitome of the history of the Singaporean community.
The CHIJMES Hall was initially built as a chapel. It was consecrated on 6 June 1847, and was given the new name of CHIJMES Hall in October that year. The building's cloister wall will remain a foot above street level. The CHIJMES - Straits times para: The CHIJMES cloister walls will be lowered by 80cm, leaving the Chijmes visible from the street. Once the renovations are completed, the redeveloped Chijmes will be visible from the road. Its signature Gate of Hope will remain at its current location.